Website JMD Park Pty Ltd (trading as The Yard Brisbane)
A boat builder must be competent is using welding machines and dangerous equipment following all safety procedures/ precautions and knowledge of different kinds of metal and their properties is essential.
JMD Park Pty Ltd (trading as The Yard Brisbane), a leading marine repair and refit facility is seeking a skilled aluminium and steel boat builder for new vessel constructions, refit and repairs with a great deal of precision and accuracy.
- Reviewing dry docks and slipways and adjusting reference points and ensuring slipway apparatus are in the correct reference point and functioning appropriately
assembling shells of boats and erecting hull sections of ship
- Conducting pre-launch tests, after ensuring launch platforms are erected correctly and review the launch procedures
- Ensure masts, frames, decking, fittings, machines, shafts and safety equipment are correctly fitted and installed
- Ensure other structures such as cabins, machine mountings, propeller supports and rudders are built to specifications required and correctly installed
- Understand any repair requirements and procedures
- Ensure hull moulds are made to specifications and fabricated and repair all vessels using a variety of materials such as aluminium, wood, glass, reinforced plastics, carbon fibre, kevlar, fibreglass and concrete
- Attention to detail and read and study blueprints, plans, specifications, drawings and take or read measurements to plan layout and procedures and prepare templates and scale plans for fabrication and cost cutting of hull sections.
- Determine the appropriate fabrication equipment or method based on requirements and welding procedures.
- Set up components for fabricating according to specifications
- Operate machinery and power tools to prepare the parts that must be welded
- Weld components using manual or semi-automatic welding equipment in various positions (vertical, horizontal or overhead)
- Carry out works in confined spaces and at heights – certificates preference but not mandatory.
- Test and inspect welded surfaces and structures to discover flaws.
- Maintain equipment and working areas in a neat condition and that does not compromise safety following WPHS & QHSE.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years on the job training or AQF Certificate IV
At least 3 years proven experience as a boat builder
Registration or licensing may be required
Experience using a variety of welding equipment and procedures (TIG, MIG etc)
Experience using electrical or manual tools
Ability to read and interpret technical documents and drawings
Knowledge of relative safety standards and willingness to use protective clothing (face shield, gloves etc)
Attention to detail
Proficient in English
Professional certification in Lloyds, DNV, ABS are a plus