Diploma of Early Childhood Education
The Diploma of Early Childhood Education is your pathway to an exciting career as an early childhood educator. In this higher education diploma, you will study the significance of the learning and development that occurs between birth and starting school for every child.
Throughout the two years, you will be provided with the opportunity to develop skills in play pedagogy; safety, health and wellbeing; documentation, planning and assessment; sustainability education; working with families and communities; understanding and guiding children’s behaviour; diversity and inclusion; and curriculum approaches and teaching strategies.
As part of the course, you will also actively engage in two professional experience placements with babies, toddlers, and pre-schoolers in a variety of early childhood education settings.
The Diploma of Early Childhood Education will prepare you to be a highly competent, skilled, and transformative early childhood educator.
This qualification is recognised in the Australian Qualifications Framework.
Course delivery for the Diploma of Early Childhood Education is a combination of on-campus lectures, tutorials, out of class self-directed study and workplace learning.
Each year includes the completion of one placement to accumulate 30 days (240 hours) professional experience by the end of the course.
You should allow for 3 hours per subject for on-campus lectures and tutorials. For each subject, you should then spend approximately 10 hours per week for self-directed study to complete prescribed readings, practice skills, research, study and complete assessments.
Ikon has a range of admission pathways available to students of all circumstances and academic backgrounds:
- Australian Year 12 Secondary School Certificate with a minimum ATAR 60
- Completion of a VET qualification at Diploma level or higher
- Completion (or partial completion) of a higher education qualification
Applicants may also gain entry in recognition of their work and life experience. You must be at least 21 years of age at course commencement and provide a written admission statement of 300-500 words explaining how the knowledge, skills and personal qualities you’ve gained through your experiences will help you succeed in your studies at Ikon.
- The importance of play-based learning and how it facilitates children’s learning and development.
- How to nurture children’s identity through respecting and supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion in early childhood settings.
- The significance of the contexts, culture and dynamics of families, communities, and society on young children’s development and learning.
- The links between child development and behaviour, and how to guide behaviour in ways that support children to develop resilience through self-regulation and connecting with others.
- Personal and professional development through two placements in early childhood settings under the supervision of professional educational leaders, giving you a real sense of early childhood educator practices.
Graduates of the higher education Diploma of Early Childhood Education through Ikon Institute of Australia may gain entry into the third year of the Bachelor of Early Childhood Education. Eligible applicants will receive course credit via the grade of Advanced Standing.